Monday 27 February 2012

Speaking Words of Wisdom

What do you do when the friend who is always there to listen and give you advice lays in hospital fighting for his life? The one who always told you to speak out and that it's alright to say "NO"? Is there anything? All you can do is wait. The friend who always listens no matter how silly you think you sound. This story mentions my mate, one who truely inspires me.

I met him a few years ago now, through my best friend at the time. He appeared to be an easy guy to get on with. He's had his struggles in life, as does everyone. As we got to know each other better, I realized he knew me better than I realized. He noticed I didn't speak up much, or if I didn't want to do something I would find it hard to say no. As time went on, he would always be pushing me to speak out, and if I didn't want to do something, let them know. I find getting into the habit of doing so quite challenging, as i am a shy, quiet person.

Then last year, we nearly lost him. Walking along the Hume Highway, he was ran over by a taxi. Weeks went by feeling like months, waiting for him to come out of a coma. Thoughts like are you going to wake up? Are you still going to be the friend I know and can count on? were going on through my head.

Such a strong fighter. He finally woke up and started making progress. It was obvious he was back. Out of hospital, and doing fine, he was back onto me. It's funny how someone can be onto you do to something, but then that one event can make it all sink in.


The point to my story? Appreciate your friends. Appreciate every little bit of advice that comes out of their mouth, even if you don't like it. Because one day, it will all make sense. Speak your mind, don't worry about what others may think, and if you don't like something, stand up and say it.



No comments:

Post a Comment